Wednesday, February 26, 2014

WinsDay #11-Review of BowWowFlix and Dog Exercise/Conditioning DVD


 
As I've said before, I love to learn new things and DVDs are a great way to learn at your own pace.  BowWowFlix is a service, like Netflix, that allows you to rent dog-related DVDs.  I signed up for the 1 DVD at a time -UNLIMITED DVDs per month plan, which is $11.95 each month.  You can cancel at any time and there is no additional sign-up fee so you can pay for the service the months you think you'll have time to watch DVDs (winter) and cancel it when you're too busy (summer).

I found that my first DVD arrived quickly but when I shipped it back, in the prepaid mailer, it seemed to take quite a while to be removed from my account, which is when a new DVD will be sent out.  This happened each time I returned a DVD and I wondered how long they sat around at the facility, waiting for someone to switch them out for a new DVD.  Also, popular titles like Crate Games are seemingly always checked out.  The way your queue works is that they send out the next title on your list that is available so if you really wanted a certain DVD, you would have to have ONLY that title in your queue, otherwise you would most likely get other DVDs that are available instead of the one you really want.  This wastes your subscription by having periods when no DVD is sent out.

Despite the flaws, I did get to watch some really great DVDs without having to buy each and every one!  And if you're willing to pay for the 2, 3 or 4 DVD per month subscriptions, you could get a lot more watching in since there are not times when you have no DVDs.  There is another similar service called TawzerDog, I'd be interested to hear if anyone has experience with their rental program.  I went with BowWowFlix because it seemed to have more titles that I wanted at the time.
One of the first DVDs I rented was Building the Canine Athlete: Strength, Stretch, Endurance and Body Awareness Exercises.  I rented this DVD because I wanted to create a warm-up routine for Dot and a core and hind leg strengthening program.   Dot is very straight in the stifle and I want to keep her hind strong in order to prevent cruciate ligaments injury.  I've learned it's important to warm-up and cool-down before doing any sort of jumping, quick turns, etc.  You know, dog sports stuff! 

I really liked that I could click to each individual exercise and not have to watch the whole DVD to get to the ones I wanted to see.  The exercises included are divided up into four categories: Strength, Body Awareness (Proprioception), Strength and Endurance.

For Dot's core and hind end program, I chose:
Strength
* Roll Over-This is great for the core as it takes the dog twisting and contracting all their torso muscles to get all the way over.  Be sure and do it both ways.


* Beg-Stand-Beg -Strengthener for rear limbs and abs/spinal muscles.  Dot had to work up to a begging position by first sitting up while I steadied her with my leg on her back.  Then she needed only a light hand touch to keep her upright.  Going from a stand to a beg instead of a sit takes a huge amount of core strength and Dot is still working on this.  I am not pushing her because it also puts a lot of pressure on her folded hind limbs.


* Crawl- A whole-body workout in one exercise, crawling takes almost every muscle in the dog's body!


Proprioception

* Step Through Ladder -Dot needed this skill for agility prep anyway so we started it.  It takes her some thought to get all her feet where she wants them.


* Spins- Dot loves to spin!  Practice spins on a surface with good traction, you do NOT want a slip and fall while rotating.  Also practice on hills to get a variety of muscles involved.


Stretch

* Play Bow- A really good stretch to do before more active exercises, this one gets the spine and legs loosened up.


* Passive Range of Motion -These are stretches done to the dog by the handler, while the dog is either standing or lying on it's side.  Really well explained in the DVD, you first flex, then straighten each joint, rotate the shoulder and hip, compress and rotate the ankles and hocks in order to move fluid into the joint and pull the limbs to traction.


Endurance 

* Trot on Leash- Which we amended to walk on leash because I don't want really long stretches of trotting which is high-impact.


But these are just a few of the exercises from this great DVD!  Does your dog have a "problem area"?
WinsDay is not just the place to show
off ribbons.  Maybe you learned something new about a breed or dog sport
 that you'd like to share or maybe you have a doggy giveaway going on at your blog and would like to give us all a chance to win!
 Maybe your dog earned its CGC or you started working on a new level of
obedience or agility.  Maybe you mastered doorway manners or housebroke
your new puppy.  These are all wins, celebrate them with us!

CorgiPants



15 comments:

  1. Wow, what a cool service! :D It's too bad they take so long to send you out the next DVD on your list. I know I'd get really bored of waiting (super impatient!) but it still a really cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try out the other one (TawerDog), write a review and we can compare!

      Delete
    2. That's a good idea! :D I'll have to check them out. Thanks!!!

      Delete
    3. Do you have a link to the site? :)

      Delete
    4. http://www.tawzerdog.com/rental_program/

      Delete
  2. This is my favorite video for my dogs. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Do you have a blog for your dogs?

      Delete
  3. And you have a Brittany too!!! I have two! Love my Brittanys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard of the company before but haven't tried it yet. Good to know about the queue order.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds interesting, albeit slightly old fashioned with the DVD delivery. The fact that you can learn different movements to sure up weak spots and imbalances is very important.

    Most humans don't think about this for themselves, let alone for their pets. Both need it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I really wish they'd start doing webcontent and downloadable videos!

      Delete
  6. That sounds like a cool service and a great video you rented too. The waiting would make me crazy, though! I bought Crate Games and I just borrowed Susan Garrett's 2x2 Weave poles. I'm sure I'd get a lot out of more videos though. I may have to check out one of these services!
    Diane and Rocco

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are two that we borrowed through the rental program!! Doing 2x2s with Dot right now! And we did crate games when we first adopted her and it was awesome!

      Delete
  7. I just received an obvious pirated copy of a DVD through BowWowFlix. Not only was it a Maxell CD with the title written in Sharpie marker, I would be able to save all the video files directly to my computer and watch them without the DVD. I am 100% certain the maker of this video did not allow this since the DVD retails for $65. I cancelled my membership and reported it to the producer of the DVD.

    ReplyDelete